Bloublommetjieskloof Biodynamic Farm
More than 35 years ago, Jean Malherbe, a single woman farmer in a male dominated conservative Afrikaans environment, started Bloublommetjieskloof Biodynamic Farm. This was the first biodynamic farm in the South Africa.
Website www.bloublommetjieskloof.com Email email@example.com
A brave pioneer creates a green utopia
Walking down the leafy pathway into the valley where Bloublommetjieskloof Farm is nestled is like walking into any greenie’s utopia. With lush overgrown areas encircling natural pastures housing a small crew of horses and cows, and a few cob cottages peaking out of the bush complementing a traditional old farm house, the farm is a happy mix of wild and tame. It’s exactly what you would expect from the oldest biodynamic farm in South Africa.
Bloublommetjieskloof was pioneered by Jean Malherbe, who bravely set out to convert the farm to biodynamic against the backdrop of a sternly conservative male-dominated farming community 40 years ago. It’s now owned and run by Wendy Lilje and her son Ishaan, who remain dedicated to the philosophy developed by Rudolph Steiner. The farm is certified by Demeter, and is inspected every year.
Accidental farmer takes the farm from strength to strength
Wendy came across the farm purely by accident nine years ago, and decided to buy it on a whim. She was already familiar with Steiner’s teachings, having come from a chemistry background at Weleda in the field of natural and homeopathic remedies. The first two years on the farm were spent fixing up what had fallen into disrepair after Jean had become too weak to manage things. The farm now boasts a wide range of products from dairy, fruit and fruit products, fresh herbs and salads, eggs and meat, to soaps and household cleaning products.
Biodynamic farms are by virtue mixed produce – they are seen as a living organism and strive to be completely self-sustainable. What comes from the farm goes back into the farm, and so it’s fitting that Wendy calls the compost heap the farm’s ‘kitchen’. “It’s where organic material is transformed into absorbable nutrients for the land”. The heaps are carefully designed and managed to get the maximum benefit both from a practical and an esoteric perspective.
From pastures to people
“But we also farm people,” says Wendy. By this she means the various educational initiatives they run. School groups visit for camps, they run biodynamic preparation workshops, and they even teach cob building techniques.
Having been established as a biodynamic farm for so long gives this farm an essence that’s hard to find elsewhere. It feels peaceful, balanced, and, well... right. Maybe it’s the inherent respect for the divine quality of all living things of the biodynamic philosophy that gives it this sense. Whatever it is, Bloublommetjies is the kind of place that makes you want stay all day. And then some.
Bloublommetjieskloof products are available across most regions of South Africa, as well as Namibia and Zimbabwe. See 'where to buy' tab.
Keeping track of where the various preparations have been buried. These fermented herbal and mineral preparations act as compost additives and field sprays to enhance fertility.
Wendy demonstrates how biodynamic Preparation 500 is sprayed onto the fields using a brush
Experimenting with circular planting
Cows in the spring time. Biodynamic principles restrict the number of cows per hectare.
The compost heap is the "kitchen" of the farm. Working the heaps well pays back with healthy land.
This is the 'donkey' and it burns alien wood from the farm to heat water for the Biodynamic Preparation 500, which needs water that has been warmed either by sunlight or fire - not electricity.
- Pick 'n Pay, Checkers and Spar outlets in the Western Cape (for details phone 021 506 6460)
- Tin Cup Cafe Red Shed V&A Waterfront (021) 7948432
- Vondi's Pet Nutrition Sea Point, Cape Town 021 434 7513
- Wellbeing Oudtshoorn 044 2794014
- African Potato 15 Eagle Crescent Somerset West 021 850 0957
- Blue Butterfly Tulbagh 072 719 8147
- Constantia Craft Shop Constantia Waldorf School Constantia 021 7944574
- Divine Foods Andringa Street (cnr Banhoek) Stellenbosch 021 886 9373
- Ethical Co-op Cape Town
- Faithful to Nature Cape Town 021 709 0110
- Dr Boomslang Nursery Station Rd Retreat 083 412 7546
- Good Day Market 87 Church Street Wellington 021 8736558
- Ecoclean Tony Centre Fagan Street Somerset West 021 8526691
- Greenlove 5 Waterford Bloubergrand Cape Town 083 2856482 021 557 9607
- Health & Living St. George's Square, George East 044 871 0765
- Health Matters Sea Point, Cape Town 021 434 5490
- Kwalapa Newlands, Cape Town 079 848 1209
- Leslies Natural Remedies Knysna 044 382 5828
- Nurtured by Nature Shop 1, Houtappel Centre 5 Duiwe Avenue Sedgefield 044 343 2867
- Lorenzo's Voortrekker Street Calitzdorp 044 2133 939
- Numnum Wholefoods Knysna 044 302 5752
- Prince Albert Countrey Store 46 Church Street Prince Albert 0235411077
- Organic Living Constantia Village 021 794 5078
- Ouma Bettie se Winkel Ouma Bettie se winkel 7 Charlesstreet Great Brak River 087 1504640
- Simply Natural Canal Walk Shopping Centre, Cape Town 021 551 2931
- Soma-rasayana Shop 2 Timberlake Village N2 between Wilderness & Sedgefield George 044 882 1282
- Steps to Health Cnr Kendell & Boundary Rd Diep River 021 7125050
- The Green Shop Cape Town 021 419 9605
- The Healing Tree Sea Point 021 439 8147
- The Mustard Seed Grahamstown 046 636 1496
- Healthwise Shop L14 Vinent Park Centre East London 043 726 7685
- Lime Fusion East London 043 735 1166
- Emagenes Shop 12 Westdene Arena Nelson Mandela Drive Bloemfontein 051 4307775
- The Sunflower Health Shop Parys, Freestate 056 817 2275
- Dovehouse Organics 14 Karkloof Rd Howick 033 330 3554
- Fresh Earth Food Store Emmerentia 011 646 4404
- Earthmother Organic Glenwood, Durban 031 202 1527
- Add To Your Health Kensington Square, Durban North 031 564 3197
- Doringrosie Produkte 32 Fisk Road, Noordheuwel, Krugersdorp 079 4646570
- Green Grocer Shop Hillcrest 031 765 4370
- Green Rainbow 6 Villa Nova Willow Road Craigavon 011 465 6019
- Greenlands Wholefoods Parkview, Johannesburg 011 486 3361
- Organic Emporium 29 Pine Ridge, 133 Bellairs Drive, Northriding, Gauteng, 011 704 0786
- Organic Me Organic Me Shop 2, Lifestyle Terrace Crn. 14th Avenue & Fifth Street Northmead Benoni 011 425 3074
- Organic Worx 134 Goshawk street Raslouw 012 653 3792
- Radiant Life 65 Ivan Smuts Avenue Silverfields Krugersdorp 011 955 - 5459
- Spar Craighall 110 Lancaster Ave Craighall Prak Jhb 011 7881510
- Naturalistic Johannesburg 011 397 6366
- Earthwise Shop LG 19 I’Langa Mall West Acres Nelspruit 013 7449231
- Aqua Conservation Services Windhoek Namibia +264-81-3666441
- Health & Happiness DOON ESTATE MSASA HARARE ZIMBABWE 076 0901271
Leave a comment
Reply to a comment below or click the 'Add your comment' button to add a new comment about this business.